• The first few days.







 After a long journey to Argentina, it has been such a nice few days to become adjusted to life here. Once we got on the plane to fly to Buenos Aires, we had a 2-hour delay, but eventually we began our 10-hour flight. Once we landed we had to figure out where the bus station was and buy our ticket to Rosario. Luckily 9 of us students met up in Houston and flew together so we figured out the bus situation together. Once we got on the bus it was another 5 hours of sitting down to get to Rosario.

We were dropped off at a hostel to stay at for our first night. It was my first time in a hostel. I think people are hesitant to stay in hostels if they are unfamiliar with the process due to stereotypes and maybe a fear of less security. I found the experience went very well and I would like to experiment traveling in hostels only. They have the basic amenities and provide fresh bedding, and although it was the bare minimum and some people might want to stay in nicer places, I would definitely do it again as long as I had a traveling partner with me. 
Most of the buildings here in the city have rooftops that you can get up on. They usually have a table and chairs and it gives you a nice change in view of your surroundings. The picture below was our first night at the hostel. It was perfect timing as the sun was going down right as everyone was climbing the roof.

Meals have been something to adjust to. Like some Europeans, Argentines don’t really eat breakfast. For them, breakfast is a coffee and a piece of toast the size of ashtray. As a big breakfast eater this a challenge for me so this morning I ate about 7 pieces of toast to try and fill up. They also eat 4 meals here, breakfast, lunch, teatime at 5 and then dinner between 8 and 10 pm.

Argentine food tends to be very bland with a lot of bread, pasta, potatoes and meat. Last night my host mom and me ate mashed potatoes, bread, and breaded beef (we put mayo and lemon on it, actually quite tasty)

 



Speaking of my host mom, she is quite awesome. My guess would be that she is maybe in her 70’s. Her name is Graciela but she goes by “Juppy” and she lives alone besides hosting the occasional student from the program. She was married but is now divorced, and has 2 daughters and 2 grandchildren. I learned that she used to be a professor of philosophy, a tango-dancing teacher, and has traveled all over the world. She enjoys zip lining and telenovela. 

















The people here are so warm and friendly. The professors and faculty at the school as well as all the host families have an energy about them that makes me feel at home and taken care of.

I am already speaking Spanish about half my day minimum because we have 4-6 hours of class and then living with Graciela I practice even more. My brain is beginning to hurt by the end of the day from thinking so much. I am enrolled in Spanish grammar and Spanish conversation as well as a Human Rights class taught in English by a local lawyer.

The city is a fusion between colonial architecture, modern Latin American stores and restaurants, and influence of products and signs from the U.S. I am in love with all the colonial buildings; I think they are so beautiful. Even though they represent a time period where Argentina was controlled by Europe, I think that is important that they remain. They are evidence of the past and where Argentine roots stem from (85% of the population is from Europe). I think the mix of the city represents the fusion of culture and language that is Argentina.


The group of students that are here are wonderful as well. We all have clicked really well so far, and sometimes I catch myself forgetting that I have only known some of these people for 3 or 4 days.

Although I can romanticize my experience so far, I have to admit there have been adjustments. It isn’t a cakewalk to be surrounded by a foreign language, living in a strange house and eating different food. However I recognize that this is so good for me. It takes me out of my comfort zone, and my everyday routine and throws me into something completely new and foreign. I learn the most about myself through these types of experiences. Although it may be uncomfortable sometimes, I am already being stretched in ways I can only achieve through travel. 

1 comment: